Mushroom harvesting season is here and I thought this would be a good time to share my Mushroom Pin Cushion Tutorial. This cute pin cushion reminds me of something granny would have kept in her sewing box. Its a fairly simple project that requires a bit of sewing and a hot glue gun. I purchased all the supplies at my local craft store. Happy crafting!
Polka Dot Fabric
2 1/4" Diameter Wood Disc
1 1/2 " Wood Candle Cup Holder
Mini Ric Rac
Hot Glue or Craft Glue
Wool Roving for Stuffing
1. Cut out a 7 1/4" diameter circle in your favorite polka dot print.
2. Sew a gathering stitch around the edge of your circle.
3. Pull your gathering stitch to create the mushroom cap. Pack cap with wool roving. Pull gathering stitch tight, close and knot. (A polyfill will work but wool filling is much better. Wool will make a stiff cap that will hold your pins in place. A poly fill will make a squishy cap but will still work.)
4. Glue candle cup holder to wood disc to make mushroom stem.
5. Put a layer of hot glue on top of the wood disc and quickly push mushroom cap onto disc and hold into place until the glue dries. Hot glue typically dries in under a minute.
6. Glue a piece of ric rac around the edge of the wood disc for decoration.
7. Finish the mushroom with a cut felt flower and a pretty pin.
For personal use only. Commercial use prohibited.
Wow, so cute!ReplyDelete
Thank you for sharing the tutorial!
Wow these mushrooms look amazing - I will be attempting the top part of the mushroom using organic fabrics & cotton but as for the stalk I will also have to make a soft version as I hope to give it to my young child.ReplyDelete
Thanks ever so much for sharing your knowledge and inspiration though.
Oh how cute! Thanks so much for the great idea, I'll be linking.ReplyDelete
What adorable pin cushions!!!ReplyDelete
oh my god that is sooooooo cute ^^ReplyDelete
they're great! absolutely adorable.ReplyDelete
thanks for this tutorial.
oh my heck!! super cuteReplyDelete
Hello, I don´t speak english, but I need say that I love your blog.Very very cute. Bjs, Anita.ReplyDelete
They are absolutely cute and adorable! I would love to add this craft on my to-do list. :)ReplyDelete
Those are very cute!ReplyDelete
You know...I never thought anything of pincushions except just as that...something to hold pins. But after seeing this, its more than just a pin holder, it's a cute craftwork! This would inspire me to keep on sewing just by seeing how cute it is. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to make one for me...for my mom...for my sissy-in-law.ReplyDelete
amazing. i will be making these for sureReplyDelete
Too cute. Thank you for the quick project.ReplyDelete
Oh my these are adorable.thank you for the tutReplyDelete
great tutorial! lovely idea!!ReplyDelete
Just like mushrooms from old video game Rayman in 2D :3 Thanks ;)ReplyDelete